Today we’re talking about our favorite 4-legged friends and their roll during your Outer Banks beach portrait! We know it’s tradition for many of you to include your pups in your outer banks family session and we couldn’t be more stoked to be photographing them! I am personally a huge dog lover! If you follow my Instagram account @sarahdambraphoto you’ll find that while I’m all business and photography on my posts, my Insta stories are practically a play by play of both of my dogs at home each day! We love dogs and we LOVE having them accompany us during our outer banks beach portrait sessions. Here are a few tips to help you out if you’re thinking about brining your fur baby to the beach!
- VACATION HOME! Make sure you vacation rental is pet friendly! There’s nothing more frustrating than having to bored your pup here on the Outer Banks because you forgot to check if dogs were allowed in your rental home. Management companies are tuff on this rule so definitely do your research first!
- ENVIRONMENTAL ELEMENTS! When bringing your pup to the beach make sure you’re aware of how hot the sand can be on their paws! Always carry them closer to the water if you can to make sure they don’t burn their precious little paws! You’ll also need to make sure you provide shade and water for them! The best rule of thumb is to KNOW YOUR PET! And when enough is enough bring them back inside to cool down 🙂 This is another advantage to shooting an hour before sunset — the heat isn’t nearly as intense as it is earlier in the day. This makes it great for your family and your pets.
- LEASH LAWS! Each township has different leash laws regarding dogs on the beach so make sure whatever town your in you’re abiding by those laws! This is also extremely helpful when bringing your pet along for your beach family photos. It’s never fun starting off your session after having had to run a mile down the beach to catch your dog! Always bring a leash!
- TREATS AND TOYS! It’s super helpful for us if you bring your own treats! In the past we provided them, but it just seemed like more and more often we were running into pet allergies, special diets, etc.. so we feel it’s best that you bring your own and we’ll happily give them out while we’re shooting your outer banks family session! Their favorite ball or squeaky toy isn’t a bad idea either!
- BEACH COMBERS! There are also far less people around on the beach during golden hour. If your dog doesn’t do so great amongst crowds of strangers then all the more reason for you bring them along for your session during that time in the evening.
- LEAVE IT TO US! We’ll make sure we get them to look! It’s best if you guys focus on us and let us get your dog’s attention! We’ll also make sure we get plenty of candids of them hanging out with their favorite humans!